Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Scary World of the Grown Ups

Yesterday was my first day at work. As I sat there at orientation with two people from HR (that's right two, because I'm a handful apparently) talking about insurance plans, 401Ks and taxes. They had to go over everything twice because I didn't understand any of it...and I still don't. Someday I'll end up in the emergency room and hand them my insurance card and they'll say "oh, you can only use this card to get free ice cream at Dairy Queen."

Anyways, I've been through nearly 18 years of schooling and rarely do I take classes that are practical to everyday living. Sure, I took English - but I can't figure out a mortgage contract. I took calculus - but I can't balance my checkbook. I even took PE - but I barely make it up one of these steep-as-fuck hills in SF. I mean seriously.

My idea is that after high school, there should be a life lessons course where you learn all the grown up things before you have to deal with them. Loans. Credit cards. Leases. Contracts. Insurance. Dealing with government bureaucracy. And so on and so forth. A lot more useful than memorizing state capitols. I mean, how is that going to help me determine my RothIRA plan? Sheesh.

No comments: