Saturday, June 14, 2008

Place Mats for Furniture

The joy of landing an apartment has been replaced by the monumental task of furnishing it in a way that doesn't offend the eye. Several times I asked the leasing agent, "um...so where would the bed go?" only to be answered with a shoulder shrug as they are checking their Blackberry. Also, now that I'm shopping for furniture, I'm not sure what size they can be. I don't have a tape measure or anything like that.

Well, you know how when someone dies, they outline the body's position? Can we have that for furniture? Like paper mats with an outline of a bed or couch or coffee table. The leasing agent can plop them down where-ever for idiots like me to get a sense of how it can be laid out. Idiots like me can then take the mats to a furniture store to figure out if that couch is the right size. I bet a furniture store can sponsor these mats and somehow, magically, have stuff that exactly matches the stuff on the mats.

Since that doesn't exist, any tips on furnishing a tiny studio is welcomed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Nien,

Go to www.icovia.com and check out the room planner. It allows you to place furniture in a room of your design. You can go to www.ladiff.com and do the same thing. Of course, I know too much about this stuff since a furniture store was my thesis project.

Anonymous said...

Hey man looks like you found a place. The furnishing is a bit tough - make sure to measure and re-measure your dimensions and buy your furniture iteratively so it doesn't all come at once and overwhelm the sensibilities of your space. First start with the essentials, then slowly add what only you need.

- wu

Nien said...

thanks for the tips!